What I learned from watching Elizabeth Bridges' SWU interview

Find the video here.

I did not want to go to bed, so I watched YouTube.

This confession makes me feel a bit ashamed.

Anyway, I saw her interview. It was immediately gripping.

The thing that stood out the most was how she compared the "natural high" with the "drug high".

Feeling good without anything was the best because you never come down afterwards.

By anything, she meant any physical or mental drugs.

But I suspect there was more to the glory of natural high than the absence of dark aftermath.

I have not done any physical drugs beyond alcohol, food and a wee bit of weed. But there have been times when I was waist-deep in my addiction to an activity or a person.

The highs are always paired with the lows.

I did not understand the difference between joy and pleasure until I started doing Vipassana meditation.

There were a few other things that struck me as well. 

Right off the bat, it struck me how cool, calm and collected she was while speaking candidly upon her trauma.

People don't do that unless they have done a tremendous amount of work under proper guidance.

The only times she wept was when she talked about love.

"He literally loved me back to life. It was the first time when someone wanted nothing from me but to love me."

So it is possible!

And of course there was the part about meditation and non-religious spirituality.

It is an interview that I plan to watch again soon!


Comments